I have been working on this for a couple of months now. I gave out some teasers when I was just in the planning and pre-design phases. Now it is done! Well, mostly done. There a still some things to be worked out, but overall I am very pleased with what has taken place.
I learned a lot in the time I spent building the site. Many of the things I learned from reading more and more indepth in the WordPress Codex. Other things were learned from blogs that I regularly read and some I stumbled across. I even happened to learn a good bit, or at least put some things into perspective, from a recent WordCamp i attended.
- Create new post types in WordPress and incorporate them into the theme
- Add meta boxes to new post pages/custom post pages on the back end
- Port information from the new meta boxes to the theme’s front end
And I am sure there are several things I am forgetting!
Things Left Todo:
- Move the functions for the custom post types from the functions file to the plugin directory
- Get the home page nailed down to be 100% the way I have envisioned it
- Work on adding content to the blog sidebar
- Now that I have Google+, add a G+ button to the footer
- Get photos added to the About page (this is priority #1)
- There are a handful of places I have extra mark up. I am planning to comb through the HTML elements as well as the style sheet and minimize as much as possible.
- I tried to incorporate several HTML5 and CSS3 elements. There is fall back for older browsers too. I would like to expand the use of new technology, and maybe even incorporate something like Modernizr for the older browsers.
- On the backend, the way I am handling the meta box input for the portfolio images needs some more work. It works ok, but I would like for it to work better/differently.
What makes me most happy?
- I love the way my new logo turned out. A combination of my old logo, and some new elements. For the most part, I am extremely happy with all the graphic elements. One or two changes, but 97% is right on the money.
- The contact page looks fantastic. I am very happy with it. Maybe more than some of the other pages. Of course, I put a ton of work into it.
- The portfolio custom post type is integrated superbly. I like the way almost all the elements of it turned out, particularly on the front end.
I am planning a series of posts to explain and delve further into how I developed the new site. Stay tuned!
As always, thanks for reading.